Ever wondered what really goes into a business’s Social Media Marketing (SMM)? Want to know why your business needs a SMM campaign? Let me itemize it for you with the traditional “Who, What, When, Where, Why” questioning style to give you some takeaways for your own business.
WHO benefits from professional SMM?
- The business owner– that’s you! When social media marketing is done in a professional manner, you appear current, present, attentive, ethically sound, and ultimately valuable. YOU look good.
- The clients. Your clients directly benefit from your social media marketing. When the entity that offers them services has a robust social media presence, the clients gain assurance that they come first, that when they interact with the business they’ll be heard, that your content will pique their interest, and that you’ll always be there for them.
- The potential fans who view your marketing. Assuming the content you’re offering has value, those in your target audience receive free advice, warnings, anecdotes, questions, a listening ear– all lending toward a long-term positive impression of your business.
WHAT does SMM entail? Tweet this
It would be
impossible insanely difficult to fit all these social media tasks into the specified time, but imagine spending 30 minutes a day on your business’s social media platforms doing the following basic activities– (Note: At PDI, we think your business is worth more than 30 minutes every day, so this estimate is only a starting point!)
- Researching or creating industry-specific content that will add value to your audience.
- Posting the content in a way that both follows each platform’s etiquette and invites responses. Remember, some platforms require a higher number of daily posts than others in order for you to ever be “seen” at all.
- Finding/following others in your industry. (Networking)
- Finding/following potential clients in your target market.
- Answering direct/private messages. (This element of customer service alone can take more than 30 minutes every day!)
- Affirming leaders in your industry.
- Interacting with fans of your Pages.
- Evaluating your content’s reach and making adjustments where necessary.
And going past the basics–
- Regularly updating and posting content on your personal LinkedIn account since this also reflects on your business.
- Assessing/Managing/Optimizing your ads’ productivity.
- Identifying problem areas of your SMM and brainstorming solutions.
- Being on-call at all times of the day every day (even the weekend!) to respond to fans, answers questions, and address other daily notifications.
Note: This list is in no way exhaustive, but it should give you an idea of the work a Social Media Marketer does every day. As you can see, this takes quite a bit of daily time if you’re going to do it right!
WHEN should your business begin SMM?
The day your business was born. Or before. You’re already behind, aren’t you? No worries– a
lot of few daily habits can get your business on its proverbial feet in a couple of months.
WHERE is the best place for your business to start its SMM?
The best platform for your business to begin its marketing depends primarily on your audience. For instance, marketing your Monster Truck Auto Shop on Pinterest probably shouldn’t be your first choice, considering that females are predominant on the site. There may be some interest in your product or service there, but not enough to make it worth your while as an initial platform.
WHY should you hire an SMM expert?
You knew I was leading here, didn’t you? If after WHO, WHAT, WHEN, and WHERE you still have doubts about the importance of having a professional handle on your SMM, here are the fundamental reasons behind why your business needs a Social Media Marketer:
- You/everyone/everything directly and indirectly affected by your business benefits, whether that’s your clients, your potential clients, your kids, your social life, your schedule, and the list goes on.
- You can relax knowing that your business’s SMM is being handled effectively. Again, YOU look good!
- You gain time to accomplish business goals, reach personal achievements, or enjoy weekend leisure with your family.
- You are included in the process with regular reporting of what’s working on your business’s social media platforms, along with recommendations on strategic changes for better results next month.
- Basically, when a Social Media Marketer is involved, everything in your social media campaign is handed to you on a silver platter so that you can do what you love best, focus on your business passions, and your marketing can serve you, not the other way around.
So what do you say? Want to tackle all that on your own or do you want help? Say the word, and we’ll be there!